SIGIR 2008 will begin with a full day of tutorials on Sunday, July 20, 2008.
Proposals are solicited for tutorials of either a half-day (3 hours plus breaks) or a full day (6 hours plus breaks) on topics in information retrieval and its applications. Each tutorial should cover a single topic in detail. For example, tutorials may cover an IR topic in depth, introduce an emerging application for IR technologies, or update the IR community on recent technical advances in related fields.
Submissions should include a cover sheet and an extended abstract.
The cover sheet should specify:
(1) the title and length of the tutorial;
(2) the intended audience (introductory, intermediate, advanced);
(3) any background knowledge or skills required;
(4) complete contact information for the contact person and other presenters; and
(5) a brief biography (max. 2 paragraphs) for each presenter.
The extended abstract should be 3 to 4 pages, and should include an outline of the tutorial, along with descriptions of the course objectives, its relevance to the IR community, and course materials.
Tutorial proposals in PDF format must be sent via email by February 24, 2008 to the Tutorial Chair, Edie Rasmussen (edie.rasmussen [at] ubc.ca. The submissions will undergo peer review and tutorials to be presented will be selected by members of the Program Committee. Notifications will be made by April 6, 2008.